The Grey House

The Grey House was erected in 1925. It was occupied by the management of the cemetery, used by the Jewish religious community in Kraków, and by the Chevra Kadisha Burial Society. At the time of the operation of KL Plaszow, it contained the offices of the camp management and had a prison in its basement. After World War II, the building was used as a social and private apartment block.
The Grey House is now included in the area of KL Plaszow Museum, in line with the agreement made between the Jewish religious community in Kraków and the city authorities. Following necessary repair work and adaptation to the requirements set by the Museum, a permanent exhibition will be arranged on the ground floor and in the basement; the first floor will contain rooms designed for educational purposes, a generally accessible multimedia library, and a space for contemplation. The principal role in the arrangement of the exhibition to be hosted in the Grey House is assigned to the witnesses. Their accounts will enable the visitors to engage with the emotional, personal history of the Plaszow concentration camp.
The basement of the building was used until August 1943 as a prison, with cells, one windowless, and standing cells − small rooms in which prisoners were prevented from doing anything but stand. The prison was used to detain camp prisoners who breached camp regulations, and the prisoners of the German security police who were sentenced to death and awaiting  their execution. The exhibition arranged in this space will allow visitors to reflect on their fates.
The Grey House was located in the centre of the camp. Its windows looked towards the staff barracks, and also towards the administration building, the quarry, the residential barracks for the prisoners, the roll-call ground and the industrial camp section. The office of the camp's commandant was also in the house. Considering the function of the Grey House during the war, the exhibition displayed there will combine accounts given by the prisoners with a presentation dedicated to the fates of the war criminals − the camp administration officers.
The camp area was occupied by Red Army troops between January and October 1945. In two rooms in the Grey House basement, there are preserved inscriptions made by Soviet soldiers who were probably imprisoned there as a punishment for disciplinary breaches. This space will be dedicated to illustrating the history of the former camp immediately after World War II, the trials of war criminals, and the first attempts to commemorate the victims.